Just as I post the below rant about the need for forums, one of my colleagues shoots me an email and reminds me about the SAMAG forums held at the Australia Council of the Arts in Sydney.
I must admit to forgetting about these events that happen every month. I have attended them on a number of occasions and they are very good. The area where they are held though, is too corporate, too halogen lit and too formal.
But as the SAMAG website says, their forums are held for the arts industry as a whole and is primarily centred around "Directors and Managers of arts organisations"... not really around the practitioner - which would make the venue appropriate.
I should bring you to the attention of their up-and-coming forum entitled What is the role of today’s critic? on 30 April. The guest panel includes publicist Merran Doyle, producer Marguerite Pepper and art analyst Michael Reid.
The blurb says:
What are their responsibilities to the public, artists, producers and to the art form?
Arguably more art criticism is written and spoken today than ever before. With the global expansion of the art world, increased literacy and public involvement in the arts and the abundance of glossy catalogues, popular magazines and websites, it might seem that anyone can fancy themselves a critic.
In a dense environment of opinion are some critics more relevant than others? How do the professionals stack up against the bloggers?
Are there external factors shaping the view of the critic? Are they influenced by professional relationships, a media release, ideas and opinions of others?
I might head on down there and give them some blog action.
Anyone up for it?
Image: SAMAG Logo
5 comments:
Can't make it to that Nicholas[on tour] but I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about what is discussed. Seems to me that this is the sort of forum that is part of an important transformation in how theatre is reviewed.
Cheers
LOL @ "Nicholas [on tour]"!
"Pickard - The Musical!" ... a bit like "Pippin" only Australian.
Yes, I'll be there.
Time?
For further details, go to:
www.samag.org
Monday 30 April, 2007, 6.00pm to 8.00pm
Australia Council: 372 Elizabeth Street SURRY HILLS
You must RSVP:
Please register by Thursday 26 April to:
Janelle Prescott info@samag.org or (02) 8250 5722 (msg only)
Cost:
FREE ENTRY for 2007 SAMAG Members / $10 for non-members / $5 for students
Please pay at the door – cash or cheque only.
Thanks Nicholas. I registered today, and as long as I am still in Sydney, I'll be there,
Is there a nice pub near by?
Post a Comment