Wednesday, 18 July 2007

And the debate still rages... but it's still all white on the night

For those of you new to this little blog site that concerns itself with all things artistic and cultural, let me recap on what has been happening this last week.

In short, I made a brief summary post about an essay published in an Australian performing arts publication about the lack of multi-racial casting on the stages of Sydney. It fit nicely with another event that occurred when the major Shakespearean company, Bell Shakespeare, cast an Indigenous actor for the first time in this country's history as Othello.

It was merely a summary, but it seems to have gone a little berserk and the traffic flow into the site has gone through the roof. At the same time, my esteemed colleague Mink Tails was diving into this blog, making excellent and passionate comments as well as having an excellent summary of the essay on her blog.

But, for fear of losing the central focus here and diving into an 'i love my stc/i hate my stc' argument, let's steer back to the nuts and bolts of what Lee Lewis said in her essay. (But I implore you all to read the full text, for fear that certain quotes I select below could be taken out of context, which I will desperately try not to allow.)

'This essay,' Lewis writes, 'argues that aggressive cross-racial casting of the classical repertoire is needed in order to subvert the 'inevitability' of White-centric theatre. It is a necessary step if we are to rid our mainstages of their current, implicitly colonial, practices and make them a cultural territory that is fully engaged with the socio-political complexities of representing hybridisation'.

That is the central theme of her essay, and I applaud her for making it.

Since reading her research and her ideas, it has started to put a barrier between myself and so much of what I am seeing at the moment. She is bloody well right and what is sad is that these arguments have been made before and nothing has been done about them.

A few weeks ago I had the fortune of teaching some high school students from a number of schools in the Penrith area of Sydney. These classes were made up with ethnically diverse students from a wide variety of backgrounds. We worked on devising short pieces of theatre which would culminate with a performance evening in front of their peers, friends and families.

It hasn't been until now, that I reflect on the workshops and realise how out of touch the mainstages are to the world that these students live in. Cultural diversity, ethnic diversity and racial diversity is the norm for them. How must main theatre companies look to them when they see a constructed world that does not reflect their own?

'The construction,' Lewis continues, 'of the all-White cast in Sydney as the 'natural order' is inherited from the British theatre, which functioned as the cultural face of imperial politics of domination. Our mainstages have yet to mount a serious challenge to this state of affairs. An all-White cast in a classical play on a mainstage in Sydney in 2007 is a nationalist strategy for reaffirming the dominant fantasy of Australia as an all-White nation...'

In the essay, Lewis makes fantastic arguments and provides excellent evidence that irrefutably shows that the cultural diversity of the Australian stage is at best, lacklustre. At worst, it verges on racial exclusion. When you compare the diversity that is gracing the stages of progressive institutions such as Performance Space, Sidetrack and Opera Australia, you get a sense of who is being left behind.

I would, however, give more weight to the role that programming plays in the lack of multi-racial casting. Someone mentioned in the previous post the speech that Richard Wherrett gave about anglo-centric programming and to be honest, I don't think that there is any evidence that the mainstage theatre environment has changed much since that speech was given in the mid-90's.

The conservative programming of mainstage theatre in this city is a central problem to the acceptance of a more diverse stage and until we start to develop audiences with more diverse points of views, more diverse texts, more diverse theatrical practice and scripts that don't prescribe to the US and UK stereotype, it will be very hard to move beyond the present situation.

Don't get me wrong, I like to hear what writers in the US and UK are talking about and the mainstages do those productions competently, but I would really LOVE to hear what Biljana Srbljanovic is saying, or Gao Xingjian, or Sabina Berman, or Yukio Mishima, or Andre Hieng, or Maribel Carrasco, or Jose Ramon Enriquez, or Noda Hideki, or the Presnayakov Brothers.... or maybe even someone from Sydney.

There is a tunnel vision in the diverse cultural impact of texts used by mainstage companies in Sydney. That is a hurdle they and their audiences need to get over if there is any hope for a more diverse cross section appearing on their stages.

Lewis uses Barrie Kosky as an example to be emulated. Again, I couldn't agree more. While I was studying theatre in Slovenia, I would occasionally indulge myself, catch the train a few hours north to Vienna and have a sticky-beak at what Kosky was doing at the Schauspielhaus. The production that stays in my memory more than any other was his production of Medea, starring Melita Jurisic in the title role.

At the beginning of the production, Kosky gets Jurisic to speak in Croatian, while someone in the lighting box did a voice over translation into German. Such a simple acceptance of diverse culture and language that enhanced the theatricality and impact of the play in such profound and beautiful ways. And not to mention pointing a big finger at the sore on the butt of Western Europe and what to do about those 'damn Eastern Europeans' who look so similar to us, but are so poor.

Lewis suggests the term 'Third World Looking Person' in preference to Non-English Speaking Background in the essay. She quotes Ghassan Hage who explains that 'when white people who embrace the White nation fantasy look at a migrant, what they differentiate between are not those who are NESB and those who are not, or those who are European and those who are not, but those who are Third-World looking and those who are not.'

From a theatre viewpoint, I think that the non-English speaking background influence has as much to do with the way that non-White actors look. The intolerance towards those that have an accent sits uncomfortably with our romantic notion of the days when actors spoke in Received Pronunciation - and this intolerance is stifling our theatre.

Lewis' essay is so much more comprehensive than I can give justice to in a short blog entry, but the study she gives to the situation is compelling. She is careful not to point the blame, and prefers to blame professionals for being naive. But at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter whose fault it is. What matters is how we are going to change and when.


Image: Luke Chueh, Black in White

14 comments:

Alison Croggon said...

As I remember - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong - Jean-Pierre Mignon did a lot of this cross-cultural casting in plays at Anthill (using actors with thick accents like Alex Menglet and Jacek Koman in Beckett or Chekhov, say). It has been done here and we've seen it work (I'm not uncritical of Mignon, but his hands-free directing worked a treat with Beckett). All the same, it doesn't really address skin colour or the Third World Looking issue.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to go of-topic Nicholas but I have given my opinion on this matter in the earlier blog--could you please ask your emplyers at the Telegraph why they are the only paper not to put theatre reviews on-line? In fact I can't even find theatre listed in the "entertainment" section--just movies, music and TV. Not a good look.

Nicholas Pickard said...

All I can say at the moment anon is that they are, as we speak, rectifying that situation and something will change in the very near future.

Watch this space!

Anonymous said...

anonymous i think you may be waiting for a long time to see theatre reviews online in the tele - maybe when actors are forced to wear jerseys with numbers and names [or their characters names] on their back and directors have whistles who yell at actors back stage at half time errr i mean interval - actually come to think of it not a bad idea. Sports a bloody good example of cross racial casting filled with talented people from all backgrounds where role models allow people from non anglo backgrounds to aspire to people they can realte to. Hasn't done that industry any harm at all. Now there's a story the tele and its readers can relate to. xchris

Anonymous said...

Yes Chris I fear you are right. The Sunday Telegraph seems to be made up of about four pages of news, an enormous horse and dog racing guide, full page ads for hair transplants and penile dysfunction, and then mindless gossip interspersed with clasifieds for brothels and massage parlours. Having the great good fortune to be a man whose life does not depend on hair plugs, the TAB, or paid-for sex, I don't think I fit the demographic. What will our dear Mr Pickard do in the midst of such dross?

Nicholas Pickard said...

I can't resist.

The Daily Telegraph published four performing arts reviews today spread over two pages.

The Herald had one.

Alison Croggon said...

Just a stop-gap question, before I read this thing for myself -

How much does Lewis address the issue of class? I was thinking about how my son Josh counted the ethnicities in his Year 12 class of around 30 kids. He came up with 17 different countries of origin, including Syria, Russia, Vietnam, Greece, Malaysia, Korea, Afghanistan, Indonesia, etc etc, which I'm sure is pretty typical for inner-city Melbourne. (Josh went to a Catholic school - private but cheap, and it was the same in primary school.) I doubt that would be replicated, however, in a typical Melbourne Grammar or Xavier College class - probably a few kids from wealthy South East Asian countries, but I'm willing to bet still mainly the Anglo-Celt would be dominant. And I wonder how much this question is about the issue of class/privilege as much as anything else.

Nicholas Pickard said...

I just got the press release about the forums that will be centred around this...

Ming-Zhu - you are now quotable! The blogosphere has arrived!

Anonymous said...

Heh heh. I'm aware. Although, you know, I'm sure Alison's TN has probably been quoted for a while now. Still. It's a nice step in the spirit of Blog-Validity.

Nicholas Pickard said...

Oops... I meant:
The blogosphere arrives again!

Anonymous said...

In the Lewis paper there is an error. Deborah Mailman wasn't the only indigenous actor in Neil Armfield's production of As You Like It. The late Bob Maza played a Duke.

I notice that Griffin Theatre nor the Ensemble theatre get a serve from Lewis. How do we define mainstream? The Ensemble is hardly known for it's "cross-racial casting", however, they have produced two plays that I can recall from recent programmes - Lobby Hero and The Violet Hour - both of which were cast with Afro American Australian Actors playing Afro American roles. Maybe not quite the leap forward Lee Lewis has in mind....

Griffin - shouldn't the spotlight hit this company inside this debate? Producing, fostering, nurturing new Australian plays and not not a TWLP (Lewis' term) playwright, actor, creative amongst them???

Lee Lewis has already and an opportunity to make important casting decisions at both STC and Griffin but hasn't "practised what she preaches". Was she stopped by management or the evil artistic director? MMm there's possibly a story there! Could not the character that Ben Winspear was cast to play have been equally played by a TWLP? The casting of Ms Arundell was a bit of "near enough is good enough". "Love Lies Bleeding" is an American play, that character could have been Afro American....

Lee Lewis mentions a B Sharp show "Anna in the Tropics" in her paper: an example of "biologically near enough" casting. A mix of Greek and Italian Australians (and a czech) were considered appropriate to play Cuban. What was doubly worse to my mind in this instance was that they then all adopted Cuban accents. Surely this made nonsense of the play - they wouldn't have been speaking in accented english to each other - in the director's attempt to cast "ethnic actors" at any cost but then to adopt the accents, cliches, gestures, manners and so on of the conceptually ancient "new Australian" actually had a back firing effect. Rather than empowing the stage with the marginalised and theatrically dispossessed it rather drew attention to itself as a group of the "other", stripping back these character's humanity and losing contact with Nilo Cruz's poetic, literary, organic human tragedy.

And who wants to be like the mainstream anyway? By my definition the Mainstream is stultifying, boring.. I agree with Lewis that "the increased competition and the need for commercial viability are encouraging conservatism in both material and style on stages which could once be relied upon for innovation" So I go out to see Urban Theatre Projects, I travel to Blacktown, I look outside the mainstream/independents for my theatrical fix - I find the holes in the walls that are slowly becoming theatres. I'm rambling. Finally a quote:

"Theater can only change theatre; it cannot change society. But if you change the theatre, you change a small but very important part of society. In the end, what did Stanislavsky influence? The spectators or the age or the history of theatre which came after him? When you change theatre, you change for its audience a way of seeing, a change in perception, a special kind of perceptivity" (Eugenio Barba, 1985)

Anonymous said...

I think Hugo T makes a valid and important point that in everyone's enthusiasm needs to be remembered. Mainstream theatre is just that--whether it is here or on Broadway or the West End. Surely during Lewis' stint as a student at Columbia Uni she would have realised that. The fact that more non-white faces populate other stages has more to do with the vastly lager numbers of non white residents in those countries than a conscious decision on the part of the mainstream to engineer social change. And I fully agree that we mustn't allow prejudice against the big companies to stop us from holding the smaller ones to the same standard--after all surely the Ensemble can find someone other than Jackie Weaver once in a while, can't they? But would the North Shore matrons flock in to see an unknown actress of colour in her place?

Anonymous said...

Actually I don't think you'd find North Shore audiences as square as you think. Paula Arundell has also performed there. They have presented indigenous actors as well. Their work isn't challenging most of the time - that's all.

Anonymous said...

Lee Lewis must be gratified that her current employer, STC won two acting Helpmanns last night for an Indigenous actor playing a non racially specific role and a Greek actor playing a non racial or gender specific role.