And so it continues. Things may have quietened down a little today within the Herald pages, but since my post yesterday, I have been drawn into another battle within the theatre blog pages. 
It seems that we are all exhausting a lot of energy on discussing the terms of reference about the ‘problem that is the STC’ and at the centre of this problem is the way the Herald started it all.
As I wrote on Monday, I agree with Alison Croggon that the validity of what Moody is saying is questionable as it is firstly emotive and secondly not helpful.
Despite this, the debate is turning into other more constructive avenues, and maybe what the Herald have done is give us all a good kick up the bum and ask in all honesty, “whadd’ya reckon about this STC mob?”
My attention has now been directed to an article that Diana Simmonds wrote on Stage Noise. Unfortunately I missed it as I find the Stage Noise website hard to navigate… which I probably need to get over if I am going to keep missing the latest opinion pieces.
For most, the article in the Herald on Saturday has been met with dismay, but for Simmonds, it was vindicating after her recent attack on the progress of The Actors Company ensemble at the STC.
“In a recent review of Upton's Riflemind I expressed concern about the self interest, sycophancy and starstruck silliness now surrounding the STC and its new artistic leaders. Who is going to tell the playwright when he's prancing around starkers? Who will dare tell Cate that she looks fantastic in Armani but having Giorgio "dress" a production is a dodgy way of enticing theatre-lovers into an auditorium. That you might get your corporate sponsors' youngbloods tearing themselves away from edgy bars and edgy apartments for an evening, but will they return? Will it translate into theatre-literate audiences? Will it halt the dribble-away of subscribers?”
There seems to be a lot of contention over who is and who isn’t worth the time. For Alison Croggon, “it seems to me that there are some outspoken voices who want their theatre nice, and want to get rid of adventurers like Kosky, and any excuse will do.
“Frankly, I think if they succeed, it will be a tragedy. Do you really want a straight diet of Noel Coward, dead plays and musicals up there? Not that there's anything wrong with Coward, or musicals, in a balanced menu; but I rather think that's the subtext.”
I think that’s quite unfair and I couldn’t disagree more. And here we get to the nitty gritty of critical commentary. Barrie Kosky is a great talent, but I left his previous adventure bored and bewildered and had to depart by the middle of the third act. Having followed his work in Sydney, then Vienna and then back to Sydney again, I am personally sick of the same theatrical images over and over and over and over again. Is it good theatrical practice to have so much repetition? It’s not about Noel Coward, it’s about furthering the field of opportunity.
Alison Croggon has made it clear that she thinks Benedict Andrews as a director is positive. And as she is aware, I am well and truly yet to be convinced, having seen similar work, styles and designs in Germany.
For mainstream reviewers the latest work of Andrew Upton was pretty good… for everyone else, it was a walk-out-able performance of the greatest magnitude.
I could go on and on about the differences between what Alison, Diana, Bryce and anyone else has to the talent that the STC employ.
But what underlies all of this is a frustration with opportunity. A frustration that is naturally going to be directed towards the institution with the most money, with the most prestige and the most to lose.
People see the leaps and bounds that Blanchett and Upton have made up the ladder of opportunity while a plethora of others have been digging away, both here and abroad for years and years. And it is all part of that generational change, particularly of generation X and Y that don’t understand why there isn’t more opportunity… more money.
They see a husband and wife team that have been entrenched in institutions their entire adult lives and wonder, where will the adventure come from? Where will the originality? And for many, the originality hasn’t been shown yet. For many Andrews doesn’t represent it and Kosky doesn’t either.
For many directors I speak to, they are utterly perplexed by the actors company. Why doesn’t the STC appoint a regular director and creative team to unite and explore theatrical exploration over time, they say. For them, it just doesn’t make sense to have an ensemble sitting there like a train station greeting trains as they come in and then sending them on again never to be seen again.
There are real questions to be raised about the STC and The Actors Company, and as Alison Croggon has so appropriately put “the real task is sorting out the valid criticisms from the bile”.
And if we can get over the Moody affair, we may very well begin to start answering the question about where we want out STC to go. And for the first time in quite a while, we may very well be heard.
Thursday, 1 November 2007
Goats and sheep
Posted by Nicholas Pickard at 12:53 pm
Labels: Arts Journalism, Sydney Theatre Company
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Nick,
It's interesting to hear you referring to "our STC". I've been 10 years in Sydney and have never regarded it as anything else but 'theirs'.
Yer pays yer money, yer takes yer ride ...
JB
JB.. if it's 'our' Cate, then surely it goes that the STC....
When you put it like that ... gosh, everything feels so inclusive all of a sudden.
JB
The irony here, of course, is that one might have imagined that the 'new media' - weblogs in particular - would actually broaden the horizons of the possibilities for what we might learn about our culture.
In far off times, one might also have enthused (somewhat fancifully it now appears) that all sorts of tidbits and interesting details about the independent theatre scene might finally make the light of day.
May I respectfully suggest that it is time now to review your charter. For far too long, the MSM have given us little insight into the heart and soul of independent theatre culture. Personally, I am frankly bored with the STC obsession. The company is obviously ego-centric. PLEASE write about more interesting and adventurous artistic and cultural activities that more accurately (and adequately) reflect the true spirit of artistic, cultural and theatrical endeavour than this over-rated subsidised monolith can ever hope to.
Enough.
Hi Nick - are you really saying that this whole fracas comes out of envy?
I agree with you, btw, about the question of regular director/s at the Actors Company. I understand it has been mooted, but those approached turned it down.
As for the alternatives that have been offered up to Kosky/ Andrews/ Jamieson/ Maddock (to confine ourselves to the Actors Company) well, the names thrown up are Gale Edwards and Rodney Fisher. I'll subdue my polemical rhetoric, and just say that if exciting, intelligent, challenging theatre is something that you value, I'd go for the former directors any day.
PS Michael, I'll be cheeky here (sorru Nick): if that's what you're looking for, head to TN and read my review of Brian Lipson's King Lear.
Hold your horses Alison... ahow about a bit of Bell Shakespeare then...
Horses all suitably pacified. :) Erm... Bell Shakespeare??
Loaded:
http://artsjournalist.blogspot.com/2007/11/review-government-inspector.html
Oh, I see. I think you should fly down to Melbourne and see Lipson's show...
I saw your review of that... how exciting. I adore student theatre and always manage to have some amazing experiences.
Well at least it's not about the silly old STC!!
And how presumptious Ms Croggon to assume that I haven't already read your review of King Lear? ... which FTR, I have.
As for your good self Arts Journo, you have been fantastic at writing about the independent scene. You broke the story about Seed and I always look forward to your travels to the independent theatre spaces around town. May I posit that you have far too much of an inquiring mind to bludgeon us all to near catatonic boredom with the dreary petit-bourgeois nonsense down at Miller's Point?
This devoted reader, for one, expects a great deal more. Don't disappoint me.
Michael Webster
I don't think "petit bourgeois nonsense" is quite what Pickard had in mind when he invited constructive comment about the state theatre company. However if that's what you feel, that's your right, and no doubt both you and the company would be happy for you to stay away.
Do bear in mind however that it sublimely easy to carp from the sidelines, but selling enough tickets to meet a fifteen million dollar budget each year is not a job for the faint hearted.
That's not to say there isn't always room for improvement and change, and I'm still hoping to read some exciting ideas to make things better. I do however agree with Alison Croggon that if the only names anyone can think to put forward are Rodney Fisher ("Steaming") and Gale Edwards("Boy from Oz"), then we are truly caught in "back to the future."
Constructive comment - without it code for anodyne pr spin or limply "supportive" no-comment - is surely the clue here. A sense of dialogue would be good too, surely a major problem with all the state theatre companies? If we could all move out of the fortress, that would be good. But it's not helped by msm commentary that is too often ignorant or only interested maintaining the status quo or in conflict rather than ideas...
Many apologies for presuming anything, Michael :) (don't you hate smilies, but sometimes they're irresistible...) I think that theatre is a continuum - what happens on our main stages does impact, positively and negatively, on the independent scene. To begin with, it's much better to have something interesting to react to, take issue with, to sharpen your brains on. And the sense of possible theatrical vocabulary is conditioned by the mainstream, whether we like it or not. If it's perceived that "programmable plays" can only be a certain way, that filters down into people's ambitions. Also, maybe we should stop drawing a line between "mainstream" and "alternative" that seems to me less and less tenable.
"maybe we should stop drawing a line between "mainstream" and "alternative" that seems to me less and less tenable."
I couldn't agree more... aside from that elephant in the room called equitable funding.
Maybe proper funding? Yes, the STC and other major organisations draw a lot of money (though when you think of those $5 million Peter Stein productions, well...) But 7.9 per cent of a budget is hardly subsidising a theatre. We all know that the small-to-medium sector needs attention, but I'm not sure that blaming bigger companies for hogging all the cash is going to solve anything.
There ought to be better arts advocacy that encourages arts education, and a better representation of the public service arts provide (maybe starting with that bit in the UN charter). And a moving away from that hideous phrase "the arts industry" towards a much more multiple understanding of the place culture holds in a society. How many times does it have to be proved that arts benefit society as a whole - intellectually, emotionally, economically - before it takes hold? It's not like Australians don't like the arts - we're among the most enthusiastic arty types in the world. More people go to art events than go to sport. But you won't see that reflected in public policy until it's forcibly pointed out.
Absolutely... what the STC get is diddly squat.
The forcibly point out bit is highly recommended... especially to the potential new arts minister, the hon peter garrett.
I implore all readers to flick the hon garrett an email expressing your views on arts funding now... not after the election.
If they get in, which is appearing more and more likely, they will soon forget.
I won't have any problem at all staying away St Genesius. But while you continue to "carp on" about how engaging audiences with theatrical innovation appears to be more complex than finding a cure for cancer, perhaps you'd like to let us know what give you the right to speak on behalf of the STC? Time to do some research on that pseudonym of yours.
and your constructive comment is...?
Who is that comment directed to anonymous?
Post a Comment