Saturday, 31 May 2008

In reflekshun

Of all the comments made on SAJ over the Henson scandal, this comment from 'Gaz' went straight to the top as my personal favourite.

So just in case you missed it, here 'tis again;

"I am travelling outside of Oz, and something worth keeping in mind as this Henson fiasco unfolds is that this is the first story to have made big news around the world concerning Oz since the apology to the stolen generations. How are we perceived? ‘Confused’ was the term someone I spoke to today used.

"I also read this fantastic quote from Howard Barker just last night. This was first published in the Guardian in 1988, and is Barker calling for a ‘theatre of Catastrophe’, which ”… insists on the limits of tolerance as its territory. It inhabits the area of maximum risk, both to the imagination and invention of its author, and to the comfort of its audience. It commands the loyalty and attention of those for whom the raucous repetition of social platitudes of both left and right appear as aridities. But the conflict experienced between the audience and what it witnesses, its exposure to the unbidden thought, creates pain and even resentment. It is distinctly not an experience associated with entertainment, and consequently an audience needs to be both prepared and, as is the case with all new theatre, educated in its freedom.” Interesting, no?

"Third – if someone masturbates in front of Van Gogh’s Irises, does that make it porn? I wouldn’t have thought so. Can I tell if he exploited those Irises by looking at the painting? Actually, no. Could I confiscate the Irises and call it ‘evidence’ that the Irises were exploited? I could, but that would make me about as weird as the guy who is wanking in front of them.

"Confused little nation suppressing those with vision."


Speaking of 'vision', below is a picture which accompanied a great Crikey article.... I just couldn't resist...


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is definitely NOT Art!

Anonymous said...

Be still my throbbing groin.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad my comment struck a chord in some way. I think I'm just happy to have a slightly "outsider's" eye on this affair right now, though it does make me sad. And the Howard Barker quote was just to eerie to read at this time to not share it around.

I'd just hate to think that our hitherto very promising new Prime Minister would provide yet more reasons for creative Aussies to become ex-pats.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me for being mischievous but..

I'm was interested in the potenital implications of Dr Nelson's latest comments as reported in the SMH:

"These graphic images of pubescent young people, pubescent children, are not appropriate.

"They are inappropriate whether in the name of art or parental consent ... once that consent is given it cannot be taken back by the child."

Dr Nelson said.."

This argument about irreversible concent might concern some parents [especially those in working families].

Just for starters I can see disgruntled circumcised men lining up to charge their parents and churches with grevious, bodily harm and/or sexual assult.

As the good Dr argues:
"Whatever the law says...we need leadership and we need to be prepared to say it is wrong."

Is he arguming that the law is irrelevant? Does this logic say that even though Henson may have been acting without the intetion of creating pornography he should still be charged? By this logic are parents also open to legal action?

Look out. We're all in trouble.

Anonymous said...

SAJ, surely you mean "On Reflection" unless you are referring to gazing at yourself in the mirror?

Anonymous said...

Thank you St G. I was going to say the same thing ... but was too busy shaking my head.