Yesterday I attended an excruciatingly boring forum held at the Museum of Contemporary Art as part of the Sydney Writers' Festival. (Who would have thought that dissent could be so tedious?) But while I was sitting listening to the waffle, I took the time to check out the art in the room. 
Aside from the enormous ten metre long hammer made from voodoo dolls which was hanging from the ceiling (and provoked violent thoughts where I imagined I was using it to belt the forum's 'facilitator' over the head until she asked an interesting question), I was struck by another work in the room.
A simple canvas on the wall contained a message giving advice on how to look at a work of art. I would not normally have cared much for the work, but in light of the Bill Henson affair, it took another meaning.
It gave simple instructions about looking at the size, seeing what colour contrasts there were, observing the object, the way that the object is placed. In other words, it gave some very simple steps about considered artistic appreciation. A bit clinical but none-the-less helpful in a debate that was getting caught up in emotional responses and very little sensibility.
It's either that or you can go off to the Art Gallery of NSW's website and download an Education Kit so you can learn something about looking at a piece of art.
I was worried on Friday that everyone was going to let Bill Henson hang out to dry. But the visual arts community has quickly gathered around their famous son and are blocking the barricades for any future Hetty-esque hysteria.
Arts Minister Garrett finally came out and gave a statement to The Australian:
"While artists have rights to challenge and confront audiences, they also have a responsibility to operate within the law."
Garrett also said that "the fact that Bill Henson's work features in a number of the nation's galleries and private collections is an acknowledgement of his success as an artist."
A bit tepid for someone who came out, guns blazing with sorry written all over him at the Sydney Olympics. But he's a pollie now.
Michael Gow came out with a stern letter sent to the Sydney Morning Herald after the Prime Minister's comments on Friday;
"The Prime Minister who invited us to Canberra has questioned the abilities and credentials of a major Australian artist," he wrote.
"I regret attending the 2020 Summit and invite others who attended to join me in protesting the treatment of Bill Henson over the last few days."
He regrets attending the 2020 Summit?! This is exactly how serious this is and it would be nice if someone from the Government stood up for the industry.
Cate Blanchett, as head of the Creative Australia delegation to 2020 now has a responsibility to either join Michael Gow in the condemnation of Rudd's statements, or at the very least provide her point of view on the matter.
And before the knuckle draggers at the Daily Telegraph and various other conservative populist news outlets rip the debate from our hands and potentially send an artist to jail.
Blanchett and Upton have even been called 'Patron saints' of the arts world. It was reported in April that "the actress and her playwright husband are selling two valuable works from their personal art collection, and want to reinvest the money in work by local up and comers".
A Deutscher and Hackett auctioneer, Damian Hackett even said that the pair 'have got their eyes on supporting a new wave of artists'.
I tell you what - no amount of purchases and no amount of investment will help a new wave of artists if they suddenly find themselves in an environment of self-censorship and police raids.
Monday, 26 May 2008
The art of influencing people
Posted by Nicholas Pickard at 12:03 pm
Labels: Australia 2020, Censorship, Visual Arts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
He regrets attending the 2020 Summit! This is exactly how serious this is and it would be nice if someone from the Government stood up for the industry.
Sounds more hilarious than serious! - at least to those of us who looked cynically on the 2020 Summit from the outset.
Indeed... it's all unravelling
I'd suggest the opposite. Michael - bless him - is taking his own way, but I'd be very surprised if he were typical of the responses.
And things are afoot. It seems to me that right now it is crucial to be clear, precise and rational. The crucial thing is not whether Rudd knows anything about art, but about whether Henson faces jail.
(Btw, Nick, is there any way of making your comments layout less confusing? The way they are, they're hard to read).
http://www.smh.com.au/news/arts/naked-and-dead-old/2008/05/26/1211653914186.html
Could it be the SMH is getting a sense of humour? Here it is pointing out that the government of Oz has toured the works of Mr Henson. Works that included images of [sharp intake of breath] "A slender young girl, naked,...held from behind by a naked young man" [catch me while I faint in distress].
Sorry. Wrong image. The one in the SMH is early 1990s.
Given the reported widening of NSW police investigations to include earlier work, I had second thoughts about leaving my comments up.
C
If Blanchett wants to assume the role of leader of the creative contingent at the 2020 Summit, then she can't hide at a time like this. If you assume the mantle of Public Figure, then assume the responsibility as well, especially when you have the ear of the PM and the Minister. It's not all red carpets and party frocks.
I absolutely agree Alison. And I also believe that it is vital that we have this debate about the intention and role of art in our society.
It needs to be pushed out kicking and screaming.
And my apologies for the appalling format of the comments. I am HTML illiterate and am trying to sort it out. So if anyone is willing to assist, let me know.
In the meantime, it is best to click on 'Comments' which then takes you to the entry page formatted in the classic way.
Post a Comment