I think it is absolutely marvellous that the Sydney Film Festival has hurled itself into the 21st Century by establishing an official film competition.
The Sydney Morning Herald has reported that the Sydney Film Prize, worth $60,000 is the biggest in Australia.
I have stolen a photo of festival director Clare Stewart holding the prize from the Herald website (sorry). But the question has to be asked.... what on earth is that award supposed to be?
Some smarty-pants sub-editor at the Herald called it a Blue Pavlova.
The look on Stewart's face seems to be crying out 'Do I really have to eat this?!'
The Sydney Film Festival website calls the prize "a unique award created by Dinosaur Designs, pictured above".
'Unique' is certainly a word for it. Hideous could be another.
Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of Dinosaur Designs, having bought numerous things from them over the years. But this award, it almost looks edible or maybe an oversized brooch that a friend has brought home from a community college class.
I think it could also be an excellent feature next to a pool. Surrounded by terracotta, it could be stunning.
But lets look at the practicality. Suppose it is handed over to a prize-winner, they hold it up into the air, the blue rocks reflecting into the crowd. They then go home, exhilarated that they now have $60,000 and a trophy.
The question then gets asked - where can I put it. It will roll off a mantle piece. If you put it on a table, people might think it's a big coaster. You can't put it in the bathroom, just in case someone uses it as a soap dish.
What do you do?
Now there's a short film plot, if ever I saw one. What's the theme for Tropfest next year??
Image credit: Tamara Dean, Fairfax Media
Saturday, 3 May 2008
But what on earth is it?
Posted by Nicholas Pickard at 12:02 pm
Labels: Film, Film Festivals, General Comment, News
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
"But the question has to be ask...."
Surely, the question needs to be askED. And there are only three dots in an ellipsis, and there is letter space before it an after it.
who the fuck would set it into terracotta and put it next to a pool?
and who the fuck would think twice about what to do with it if they'd won the competition and the $60,000?
Idiot.
Maybe a doorstop then?
earring
need to win twice; verry clever
What a god-awful, inelegant piece of "design". A film can The Blue Button Monster has spewed up on.
This looks like it will be almost as cringe-worthy as Tropfest, that John Polsen act of self adoration.
Oh Nick, I actually laughed out loud multiple times during this post. Hideous!!!... and hilarious!! Thanks for that.
They can keep their $60,000 as well. Beauty in design (and filmmaking) is surely worth a great deal more than this piece of artless crap.
Oh yes. Sydney Film Festival sidles up to Tropfest. Is this going forward!? SFF trying to borrow some of Topfest's street (or Domain) cred?
Good luck ... oh, and don't shoot the messenger. Cheap shot. Almost as cheap as the jewellery.
Yuck.
Ugly as fuck.
Let's hope the "prize-winner" knows more about the value of beauty than the people who, what, 'commissioned' this trophy.
I for one hope I don't win it. It doesn't go with anything I own.
Post a Comment