Gallipoli by Nigel Jamieson
Sydney Theatre Company
Sydney Theatre
To no man does the earth mean so much as to the soldier. When he presses himself down upon her long and powerfully, when he buries his face and his limbs deep in her from the fear of death by shell-fire, then she is his only friend, his brother, his mother; he stifles his terror and his cries in her silence and security; she shelters him and gives him a new lease of ten seconds of life, receives him again and often for ever.
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
First published in 1929, Remarque's confronting account of his experiences on the Western Front was deemed traitorous by Hitler's Nazis and was one of thousands of books to be burnt.
Written during the years just after the Versailles Treaty it gives that very personal tale set against the war machinery of Government. It was part of the Roaring 1920's which represented a solid decade of reflection and denial for the peoples and countries involved in that horrific war. It was Weimar, flappers and garconne. And Remarque is the quintessential figure of that reflection and denial.

Australia was no different and dealt with the horror of the war like everyone else. Survivors returned home and picked up where they had left off. The waste was not lost on many but it was terribly hard to swallow. Lest we forget.
Every country town and city built landmarks, statues and memorials in honour of the fallen. In Sydney's Hyde Park the architect Bruce Dellitt was commissioned to build a beautiful art deco structure in memory of the lost Anzacs.
If you observe the statues and the granite carvings of the memorial you see some of the most graphic and violent images that deplores war. It would make any pacifist proud. Indeed, if you look closer, you can see empty space on both sides of the monument where two bronze statues are missing.
They were deemed to have far too much anti-war sentiment and they were not permitted to be erected by the government authorities. They are still locked up in a vault somewhere.
Denial and reflection.
But ninety years later and the Australian people are a little less afraid of facing up to the waste of World War One. Or war in general for that matter. 400,000 protesters marching the streets of Australia in the lead-up to Iraq is testament to that.
The story of Gallipoli and the Western Front is now compulsory historical learning in high schools across the country. They study the home front and the war front. We have the Mark Lee and Mel Gibson film, we have historical narratives, primary sources and documentaries all focusing on one common theme - what a bloody waste.
Which makes Nigel Jamieson's production of Gallipoli puzzling. It adds absolutely nothing to what is already out there in the great canon of World War One literature.
Technically, this is an astonishing production and epic in quality. It has that trademark Jamieson quality that can be found in his recent successes of Honour Bound and Dead Man Walking. The multimedia footage projected on the back wall, video projection, the lighting, the rigs. It is often quite breath-taking.
But, in the end, it is a confused narrative with a script that is so self conscious and didactic that the real stories and personal tragedy get lost under text-book stereotypes.
Utilising the STC's Actors Company and NIDA third year students, it is an enormous show that travels from the cities and towns across the Commonwealth, to Egypt, to Lord Kitchener and finally the Dardanelles. There are music hall scenes, great speeches delivered, hand to hand combat, trench warfare, blood and death.
To centre the production, Jamieson tries to use the character of Charles Bean (Luke Mullins), War Correspondent for The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald as a type of Remarque figure. He is the self conscious young journalist who writes propaganda for the paper and the personal truth in his diaries. However, it's a very simple portrayal of a complex historical figure.
Jamieson uses many primary sources from letters and diaries which all have that self-conscious narrative. Actors playing nurses or soldiers or officers will walk down centre stage and deliver the extracts to the audience with constant descriptive analysis of how they felt. Reading such testimonials is informative for the scholar or the interested reader, but placing them on stage means that the audience is always told and never shown how they felt.
The simple art of story-telling has been lost within primary source confusion.
The other problem is that Jamieson has worked from the basis that the audience knows nothing of the Gallipoli experience. It denies the ninety years of learning or the oral history that has been passed down from generation to generation. It denies the writing of Remarque of Sassoon of Owen. We know World War One was not a walk in the park.
In one way, this production might have been better shown when the War Memorial in Hyde Park was officially opened in 1929. For the generation who came back to their years of 1920's peace, it would be a confronting history of complicity and waste. A complicity and waste that they tried to ignore but which we now know.
Robert, there's a war in France;
Everywhere men bang and blunder,
Sweat and swear and worship Chance,
Creep and blink through cannon thunder.
Rifles crack and bullets flick,
Sing and hum like hornet-swarms.
Bones are smashed and buried quick.
Yet, through stunning battle storms,
All the while I watch the spark
Lit to guide me; for I know
Dreams will triumph, though the dark
Scowls above me where I go.
You can hear me; you can mingle
Radiant folly with my jingle.
War's a joke for me and you
While we know such dreams are true!
Siegfried Sassoon
Directed and designed by Nigel Jamieson Brad Clark Alexandra Sommer Trudy Dalgliesh Alan John Steve Francis Antonia Fredman Gavin Robins Charmain Gradwell Nicole Alexander Mark Haslam Damien Millar.
With the STC Actors Company Brandon Burke Peter Carroll Marta Dusseldorp Eden Falk John Gaden Steve Le Marquand Ewan Leslie Hayley Mcelhinney Amber McMahon Luke Mullins Pamela Rabe Emily Russell.
And with 3rd year NIDA Students Julia Billington Kit Brookman Travis Cardona Katharine Cullen Andy Cunningham Julian Curtis James Elliott Matthew Hardie Aimee Horne Graham Hyland Bradley Kannegiesser Nick Maricic Josh McConville Stuart McRae August Miller Libby Munro Arianwen Parkes-Lockwood Ashley Ricardo Alexander Russell Demitrios Sirilas Sarah Snook Miranda Tapsell Nigel Turner-Carroll.
Until 23 August.
Photo credit: Brett Boardman
23 comments:
I beg to differ. What Nigel drew on was a brilliant Brechtian Epic style to create one of the greatest anti-war plays I have seen since "O What a Lovely War". He did not for one moment intend the audience to be drawn in with their hearts. That's what happens every 25th April- hearts and flowers. He wants you, in true Brectian style, to think- to intellectualise- to get angry, to understand the truth of the horror. Note- he never mentioned 'mateship'. He blew the entire Gallipoli myth apart and a standing ovation is needed for this outstanding monumental and grounbreaking piece of theatre.!!
Carla, I agree with you, 101%. I'm sad that I'm stuck here in NZ, but one day it may tour here or something.
Expensive way of trying to get rid of a myth that's already questionable.
I believe you're just jealous because you KNOW it's going to go on to Broadway and be very sucessful. You're practically the only reviewer who has not liked it.
Thanks Anonymous 3 - I didn't know that. That's very interesting indeed.
And I would encourage you to read reviews from Jason Blake in the Sun Herald and James Waites on Australian Stage.
I'm with you SAJ. This was boring. Like an education department cd-rom on the subject. There wasn't one new idea on that stage in either the design or content. It was a real chore staying for the whole show. If you have bought tickets, don't be afraid of leaving at interval - you won't miss anything in the second half.
Thinking about the previous Anon comment, it's interesting to consider the possible Broadway tour.
If, as they have suggested, it is going to Broadway, it might go some way in explaining the didactic nature of the show.
US audiences may very well lap it up.
" ... part of the Roaring 1920's ... "
There is no apostrophe in 1920s.
SAJ I think a simple phone call to the STC would put any rumours of a Broadway tour to rest. It certainly would come as surprising news to any of the members of the Actor's Company. Who starts these things?
Indeed St G - it is highly unlikely and I was surprised that someone left that comment.
The mere logistics and cast size of Gallipoli would make it near impossible to tour.
Perhaps wishful thinking on the part of one of the NIDA kids?
Brechtian? This was a poor excuse for Brechtian. Brecht alienates, he makes them strange so we can examine them from an objective point of view. But the uniforms and the choral music and the flag-waving were incredibly familiar, and the methods of communicating it all were so simplistic. Have we learnt nothing?
SAJ was spot on. I'd be very surprised if anyone was seriously shocked to hear that the campaign was a catastrophe. The 'discoveries' that this production reached at the end are infact the points where it needed to start. It was as if the tragedy of war, or the 'surprise' parrallel with the current war in Iraq were supposed to be shocking or unexpected.
Maybe you should research Brecht's work and the verfremdungseffekt before you start calling things Brechtian.
Brechtian by Wikipedia standards, perhaps.
Carla? I need a publicist. You're not available by any chance?
SAJ - your response to this was very similar to my response to Honour Bound (I was similarly 'jealous' because I was the only person who did not like this show).
It did not make me feel anything at all (this is the correct response if Carla is right about the show's intentions), nor did I learn anything because I already had an interest in the subject matter. (Those who were not politically engaged enough to know the back story of Hicks and the circumstances of his detention would perhaps have been put off by the intellectual and political one-sidedness, so nothing to offer them.). Nor did I reflect on anything really, except to think "Why didn't Jamieson make up his mind between a physical theatre show and a documentary?" instead of the resulting awkward Frankenstein of the two.
I really question the value of this kind of doco-theatre altogether.
Obviously it's not going to Broadway you dolts - the Anon writer obviously meant they thought it SHOULD go to Broadway (not that i entirely agree - I'd give it 7/10).
I strongly disagree with Mark p however who obviously missed the point - there was no flag-waving (well there was, but only to demonstrate how people back home were FORCED to flag wave by Billy Hughes and his mob as their boys were getting needlessly slaughtered overseas).
I thought there were some really good bits and some pretty crap bits. Like most theatre I see in Sydney these days....
I agree with the last writer. Not evryone is as smart as mark p obviously. I think the timing is fantastic as far as the war in Iraq is concerned. Parallels should be drawn in a public forum coz I don't think many people would make that connection. Although the show is a bit higgeldy-piggeldy it gets it's message across to the wider public and not just the snobby educated elite (like some on here who love to show just how theatre literate they are)
"Not evryone is as smart as mark p obviously."
and
"snobby educated elite (like some on here who love to show just how theatre literate they are)"
Are you serious??
I suppose it might be worthwhile to consider (at this particular time) that it seems to be ok to be knowledgeable and supportive of elite sports, but as soon as you translate it to serious discussions about the arts you are branded as 'snobby educated elite'.
There are plenty of forums out there anon if you don't like this one.
Whoa! Touched a nerve didn't it. And now that boring old argument again - sport vs theatre. There's no reason why both can't live side by side. In fact, the theatre world could learn a lot from sport (that's why you get 100 000 at the grand final but struggle to get bums on seats in the theatre). It's quite possible for people to really get a kick out of both, you know, so don't throw that hackneyed old argument back at me.
Aaaaanywaaay....I was just saying that some people like to show how intellectual they are and can hence miss the point of a show sometimes. To say that Gallipoli was flag-waving means Mark P missed the whole point (admittedly, in my opinion). I apologise if I'm not allowed to say that on YOUR site. I didn't realise I had to be a sycophantic bum licker to contribute. I didn't say I don't like your forum, I said SOME people are just a bit too smarty-pants (the same as on any forum on the web, be it sports based, theatre based or whatever!). S to answer your question...yes, I am serious!
Cheers
S
"sycophantic bum licker"?
You obviously haven't been on this site before. Welcome.
Righto S. Now that you've had your literarily juvenile and delinquent little ego trip at our expense, let's get a couple of things straight.
1. I am a "bum licker" and I find your comment offensive and discriminatory. On behalf of Bum Lickers everywhere, I recommend you cease using it as term of derision.
2. I am also a "smarty pants", having a dazzling list of national and international achievements to my name, stunning qualifications of a tertiary and life-in-general nature ... which judging by your inane ramblings, don't manage to make it onto your CV.
3. Theatre of a truly Epic nature actually needs to encompass the range and depth of emotion, original thought, creativity, etc ... and not just be about lots of big scenery and a huge lighting rig.
4. STC Flag Wavers are as welcome here as impossible to hide symptoms of some hideous sexually transmitted infection.
5. Do not even attempt to match wits and knowledge with the author of this blog or harrass him for doing what he does as well as he does it. If you brought even half the wealth of his experience to your comments, you'd almost be worth engaging with.
Now smarten up before I get really annoyed.
I rest my case.
S
Troll Meister, I've been looking for some smart pants to wear to the theatre for some time and can't seem to find anything appropriate. Can you recommend a good smarty pants shop? Nothing too expensive, I save my money for theatre tickets. Many thanks.
The parrallels with the Iraq war only really got raised at the end! Why? I suggest that perhaps the company didnt really know where to go with them... perhaps they couldn't actually work out how reviewing the catastrophes of the Gallipoli campaign can help us change things that are happening today. They new it could... but how? What do we do? Make a comment about NOW stc, i dare you.
I got the 'point', anonymous, I got what they were trying to do. But with the mountain of cash that went into this production, I think there are better ways of showing the corruption of motives than what I saw. Honest intentions, poorly rendered.
And lay off the homophobic comments, S. Zero tolerance there.
Post a Comment