Tuesday, 22 September 2009
The Wonderful New Era of Theatre Trailers
I absolutely love this new practice by theatre companies in Sydney to make trailers to help promote their shows. It was something that first emerged in the UK and the North American fringe but gradually the practice has filtered through other places around the world.
In some cases the trailer is better than the show - which can be slightly problematic for producers - but most of the time, an innovative theatre trailer often represents an innovative creative team.
Here's a pick of some of the best that have emerged in Sydney in recent times. And if there are any more you have come across send them my way and I'll post them up.
The Duel - Sydney Theatre Company
References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot - Griffin Independent
St Nicholas - Bondi Pavilion
Wicked - Capitol Theatre
Posted by Nicholas Pickard at 1:52 pm
Labels: Independent Theatre, Media, New Media, Theatre
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Nick, I offer this service! :)
http://www.pearlyproductions.com/theatretrailers.html
I too enjoy these trailers, though not enough theatre companies are using them yet (or at least regularly). Interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff on the theatre's website are a good addition as well (though they seem to be even rarer). But what really impressed me earlier this year was how the National Theatre in London gave directions on youtube to their fine establishment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCp-iSeHiUo
Not exactly ground-breaking, but I ended up watching the whole series of videos.
I saw the trailer to 'References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot' before going to see the show on the 2nd preview and the production absolutely blew me away! Brilliant trailer and even better show. The performances were spot on, especially the 2 leads. There is much talk about this show. It's a shame the season is so short, more people should get to experience it. Perhaps a joint venture with Company B?
Hi there Nick,
Forced Entertainment's trailer for Spectacular during the UK season is pretty amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ti5vma554I
ArtsRadar is all over it. What a brilliant concept. Releasing a Part 2 of the Dali trailer. It furthers the narrative and deepens the relationship with its initial audience - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiH1Lk9Sv_Q
Brilliant show. Well done guys! I definitely agree with M. Dunn; this show deserves a mainstage run somewhere. Wharf 2 perhaps?
Post a Comment