Wednesday, 14 October 2009
Just quietly...
Tucked away on page 10 of Saturday's Spectrum was an interview with set designer Ralph Myers by Bryce Hallett.
When I was reading it, I thought to myself; when was the last time the Herald published an article about a theatre set designer? You'd have to go pretty far back in the archives to find one.
And then it dawned on me - a very well placed article indeed. I smell a Company B succession in the wind. What are the odds now?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
He is absolutely odds-on, NP. Has been for months.
So I understand Luke. I suppose someone had to introduce him to the wider public before the announcement.
G'day
Yes, Ralph plus 1? He wouldn't be taking it on by himself I don't think. Shall we speculate? One thing's for sure, it won't be a woman! Hugo T
How depressing!!!!
I have long admired and respected Ralph's work, not only as a brilliant designer but as an inspired creator and collaborator. I watch and wait in hope.
As a Belvoir subscriber I'm interested Anon, if this is depressing, what or who wouldn't be a depressing outcome?
Depressing? Well, it hasn't been announced yet - this is mere conjecture - but I believe it's a very interesting choice.
A set designer as AD? It would be a very interesting and a fairly unique move.
I have been trawling the archives to try to find the last time the SMH published a story about a set designer and still can't find one.
Hopefully this new turn of events will set a precedent. Designers get ready! Your time has come!
There was a story in Spectrum about Brian Thomson in 2007. I know because I cut it out. Gabriella Tylesova has also been featured in various magazines for her work at the Opera and Ballet. Yours, design lover!
ps, I hear Roxborough's in with a chance at B
in the Belvoir publicity for Happy Days Michael Kantor is described as a 'prodigal son' - dead giveaway in my book.
i think Ralph is a good choice, and knowing him - i think he'd be a real seachange for young arts workers getting more opportunity at this kind of theatre.
He'd do a terrific job but i suspect he's a little young to be AD
Neither Roxburgh nor Kantor applied, from what I've heard.
Trav
I don't think the previous anonymous comment of "how depressing" referred to Ralph. My guess is it referred t the true observation that there was no chance Neil would suggest a woman.
...or that the Board would consider a woman.......
too frightened!
Dear Mr P., I think you've hit half the nail on the head. My prediction: a double-header of Ralph Myers and Sam Strong. A smart & sexy (male) designer and director/dramaturg duo! (PS: I must take exception with your opinions regarding BSC's ".. Shrew". I think it's the company's best work since the equally intelligent and imaginative "Troilus & Cressida"!).
That may explain why T & C nearly turned me off Shakespeare for life!
Post a Comment