Monday, 1 October 2007

Review: Bone

Bone by John Donnelly
Seymour Centre
21st September 2007

What a brilliant idea. Bring the very best of independent theatre productions from the previous year and repackage them as a festival.

When I heard Bone, a new play from young British playwright John Donnelly was featured, I made sure that it was on my list of must see theatre. It doesn’t disappoint.

Three characters are discovered on stage, framed on all three sides by floor-to-ceiling plastic sheets. They face the rear as the lights evoke a huge roaring fire and the crackle of timber surrounds the audience.

This begins what are three intertwined monologues that dive deep into the fire of the soul as each of them retrace personal catastrophes.

Helen (Vanessa Downing) recounts losing not only all her cattle during an outbreak of mad cow disease, but also her husband weighed down by the financial catastrophe. Jamie (Peter Barry) is out on an night with the lads just before his tour of duty to Iraq and Stephen (Ryan Hayward) keeps up appearances in the corporate world as he loses his grip.

It is an astonishing script from a playwright with a voice so clear and crisp you can’t help but anticipate where he will go next.

The direction by Tanya Goldberg is assured and delicately delivered with a brilliant ensemble of actors who display their craft in the most compelling way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a great show isn't it. Powerfully poetic and sensative performances - and a little bit funny too [in a sort of Checkhov way].

I was sad to hear that some of the papers are reluctant to review the works in this season.

It was explained to me as being excused with a:'we had to draw the line somewhere and we've drawn it at the seymour centre' which is one of the more abusurd excuses I've heard in a while.

I suppose there is always the fallback 'we've reviewed it before' but that also doesn't cut much mustard with me.

Thanks Nick for making our theatre environs more vibrant.

Pedro Nunes said...

Love the Content Keep it Coming XO

Geoffrey said...

I'd love to see this. Is it coming to Melbourne?

Anonymous said...

If anyone is interested where I'm going next. The answer's South London:

http://timewontwait.com/projectspage.html

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4746649170&ref=share

Bit of a trek from your neck of the woods though...

Thanks for the kind words

JD

Anonymous said...

Nicholas good on you for giving these productions some notice. Try to catch "Belle of the Cross" with Getraud Ingeborg at the TAP before it closes. Really fascinating.