Saturday, 29 March 2008

100 Best and Brightest

Looking at the list of the 100 best and brightest just a little more closely, it becomes increasingly intriguing.

Not only is it intriguing that the list has its good share of usual suspects that already have themselves in the ears of policy makers group - or your Strong, Gonski and Throsby group.

You also have a good dose of the 1990's brash commentariat group - or your Kosky, Polson and Sheehey group.

And you also have your missed opportunity for some non-institutionalised alternative discussion group - or why isn't Chris Mead, Marcus Westbury, Ben Eltham, Simon Wellington, and Andrew Frost on the list group.

As well, there is the where are our illuminous right-wing intelligentsia creative Australia group - the Andrew Bolt, Miranda Devine, Janet Albrechtsen, Keith Windshuttle group.

But you also have the is that really their full name group - starring the Nicholas George Grant Marchand and Astrid Elizabeth Grace Wootton group.

Best of all however, is that The Australian newspaper has even put the sexes and states for each of the participants - an extremely convenient guide in case their is any confusion. In a crowded room of one hundred, you will be able to call out "Mr Andrew Denton Male NSW!" or "Ms Sue Nattrass AO Female VIC!"

It's going to be a marvellous weekend and I can't wait. I'll be reporting from Canberra for Crikey, so stay tuned.

Signing off Mr Nicholas Robert Pickard Male NSW.

3 comments:

Alison Croggon said...

Albrectsen et al are indeed represented, if not (thank God, given the level of their knowledge of culture and art, which judging by their commentary is woeful) in the Creative Australia group. And is Chris Mead really non-institutional?? My initial thought was how few writers are in that group, a quick count - including me, though I feel sure it wasn't my poet hat that got me on there - is five. Though there may be more...

Ms Alison Jean Croggon Female Vic

Nicholas Pickard said...

I think, Alison, if you saw Chris's latest hair and beard style, you would see he has swiftly jumped across the river to non-institutional! But, yes, point taken.

And I agree that you probably weren't picked as a poet and I also noticed the great lack of writers.

But of the writers that are there - you are in esteemed company. That Professor John Coetzee Male SA (Is that South Australia or South Africa?) being one of the damn finest I have read.

Alison Croggon said...

Oddly enough, I'm also sharing a gig at the University of East Anglia in Norwich with Mr Coetzee in June. Small world, as they say...