Tuesday, 16 September 2008

London, Ljubljana, Lisbon and beyond


SAJ is now just a matter of hours away from taking a short and well overdue break to Europe. Indeed, this is the first overseas jaunt for nearly three years.

Starting in the UK, I will be heading to Slovenia, Portugal, the Netherlands, Belgium and New York City for a total of 21 days.

Hopefully I will be able to blog a few things while I am away including review a South African play which has just opened in London after winning an Edinburgh Fringe Award. I will also be interviewing the new Artistic Director of Performance Space Daniel Brine, who will replace the irreplaceable Fiona Winning in a matter of months.

I am presently trying to get a ticket to see either Piaf or Ivanov at the Donmar Warehouse which might happen over the coming weekend.

Slovenia will be fun as always, and I will hopefully catch a Sarah Kane at the wonderful Mladinsko Gledalisce.

This will then be followed by some interviews with Portugal and New York based artists about to arrive in Melbourne for the International Arts Festival.

Of course this will be all dosed with great lashings of food and drink which I will spare you the details.

I have two reviews from Sydney still to come - pool (no water) a fantastic performance down at the Darlinghurst Theatre Company which closes this Saturday, and the absolutely brilliant and quite significant The Modern International Dead which opened last week at the Stables.

Until then, I'll see you on the other side.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, all the best Nick. Keep on bloggin' for all us folk who can't bear the idea of leaving the scintillating Sydney arts scene for one minute ...

JB

Anonymous said...

Travel safely SAJ.

Anonymous said...

happy travels SAJ

Anonymous said...

Are you in London Nicholas? Are the reviews for "Riflemind" really as unanimously scathing as has been reported? I remember when the play opened here Diana Simmonds posed the question, amidst all the star-struck adulation who would have the nerve to tell Upton his work is flawed? I guess the answer is: The UK theatre critics.

Anonymous said...

You don't have to be in London to know it's a good old-fashioned slaying: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/09/19/btrifle119.xml

Anonymous said...

How lovely, Nick! Have fun, and have some pasteis de Belem while you're in Lisbon!

I'll be seeing you down here for MIAF, I hope?

Bon voyage!

Lee Bemrose said...

Sounds like an action-packed trip.

I missed Riflemind when it was on here. If it's as bad as the Telegraph review makes it sound, I kind of regret missing it even more.

I also reviewed pool (no water) and The Modern International Dead recently and agree; both were very good.

Anonymous said...

Thank God you're not some poor masthead's foreign correspondent!

Nicholas Pickard said...

Thank God I'm still on holiday.