Thursday, 9 October 2008

Welcome back


Imagine being away from Sydney for over three weeks, taking in the sights and sounds of Europe and North America to return home and find this in your local rag;

Say you were the principal of St Kilda Primary School in Melbourne and, unlike Sue Knight, you wanted to inform parents beforehand that a controversial photographer would be coming to the playground to scout for models. How would you construct the letter that went home?

"Dear parents:

"Acclaimed artist Bill Henson, who specialises in photographing adolescents in various states of undress, is having trouble finding models and would like you to consider having your child pose naked for him. He will be attending the school this Friday at lunchtime to survey the students for potential candidates. This is a wonderful opportunity for our school community to show its support of the arts and I would hope that you will join us in welcoming Mr Henson. If there are any objections, please call the school office and we will arrange for your child to stay in the classroom at lunchtime."


Some things don't change do they Miranda?

And like a swarming mass of bored teenagers waiting at a train station, the media have gone bezerck over the fact that Henson was escorted around a school to see if there were any potential models for his art work.

It has been a point that our illustrious journalists, editors and publishers have failed to emphasise. Henson was 'escorted' around the school. Escorted. A body of persons or a single person accompanying another or others for protection, guidance, or courtesy.

I imagine that he was escorted around just like talent scouts, sport scouts, modelling scouts would be when they requested such a visitation. Upon finding a potential talent, I imagine that these scouts would then go to the parents of the child for further discussion.

Things have certainly changed from the days when the likes of 14 year old Kate Moss was approached on a train station in New York.

It really is amazing that this story has emerged once again and our Prime Minister is looking more and more puritanical by the day. If only our arts minister would say something.

But the arts community don't get off scot-free. Whoever thought that a book published by a friend of the artist and written by a militant sympathiser was ever a good idea? It stinks of elitism and is hardly an objective addition to the debate - something which we desperately need. It is a situation almost as bad as the Art Monthly palaver, with just as much misjudgement. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you really surprised Nicholas? Barry Humphries once said that Australia was the only country you could leave for twenty years and come back to find everything exactly the same. Your friend Alison Croggon has been keeping this issue alive in an intelligent way. A tiny flickering light in the Neanderthal darkness...

Nicholas Pickard said...

And now Marr has successfully increased his potential book sales. His PR ability should not be under-estimated.

Or I'm just far too cynical.

Anonymous said...

Just to depress you even more about the artistic wasteland to which you have returned--"Women of Troy" one of the finest theatre pieces ever staged in my memory, with thrilling performances by Nevin and Jurisic, but the night I went four people got up and walked out between the final blackout and the curtain call--noisily stomping out as the actors took their bow. Gee it makes you proud...

Nicholas Pickard said...

Yes - I have heard that Women of Troy is a wonderful production from a wide variety of people.

But I never mind a walk out. It's always good to see people react to theatre. Gives you faith.

Alison Croggon said...

Hey Nicholas, welcome back! But you should read the book before abusing Marr. It's a very sober, fair-minded analysis that is a valuable addition to the debate. The fuss that ensued was definitely not Marr's fault, and I can't help thinking was in part to obscure the clarity of the book. And in the Australian today he's quoted as being very distressed by what happened.

Nicholas Pickard said...

I think you are right and that I misjudged my previous comment.

I went to the talk last night and he affirmed my respect for him. He is indeed very sober and fair-minded particularly in regards to the historical examples of arts hysteria he provided.

You can actually download the talk from the Sydney University website;
http://www.usyd.edu.au/podcasts/2008/marr.mp3

And thanks for the welcome home. But strangely I am feeling really jet-lagged and out of it. Posting should recommence in a day or two.